First Time Certification
Ursus Enterprises will be holding first time training for Pool Personnel employees on weekends in the month of May. The course will be a blended learning course. Participants will be given access to online learning from the American Red Cross and will need to complete those lessons in advance of in person training. Training will be from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the weekends of May 8-9 and May 15-16 at Montgomery Square Copenhaver Swim Club in Potomac. Participants in this class must be available both days. To sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pool Personnel will be holding recertification training on weekends in the month of May. Training will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the weekends of May 1-2, May 8-9 and May 15-16 at The Willows of Potomac Pool. Participants need only attend one of the two days each weekend. To sign up, please email email@example.com.
Course fees for Pool Personnel employees are $215 for full certification, and $150 for re-certification. Certification in Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid and AED is good for two years. Non Pool Personnel employees pay an additional $35 for certification. Payment is due prior to the first class by check made payable to the instructor or online (for initial certifications only through Ursus Enterprises).
As the Red Cross and other lifeguard training providers have changed certification to be valid for two years, it is always a good idea to check your certifications to make sure they are current. For almost all providers, the following basics are required:
- Swim 300 yards continuously.
- all participants be at least 15 years old by the beginning of the course.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 – 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all saves.
- Pass written and practical tests for lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid and AED.
For those seeking certification at a different time, below is a list of links to area providers. If you find somewhere else to get certified, please be sure to check with us to make sure the certification is accepted by Montgomery County.
- Champion Swim Club (Quince Orchard)
- Ursus Lifesavers and Aquatics
- City of Rockville
- Montgomery County, MD
- City of Gaithersburg
- Aquatic Training Services
Pool Operator Courses: Pool Personnel does not offer courses taught by us at this time. However, we do offer a list of available courses. This is not a complete list and you may be able to find other courses.