First Time Certification
Pool Personnel will be offering a full lifeguard training course on June 10-11 at The Willows of Potomac Pool. Class will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Participants in this class must attend both days. This is a blended learning course, so completion of online materials is required in advance of in person training. To sign up, please click on this link: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Pool Personnel will be offering a recertification course on May 20 and another on May 21. Class will be held from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., although it may conclude earlier based on successful completion of water skills by all participants. This is a blended learning course, so completion of online materials is required in advance of in person training. To sign up, please click on this link: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Course fees for Pool Personnel employees are $225 for full certification, and $150 for re-certification. Certification in Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid and AED is good for two years. Non Pool Personnel employees pay an additional $50 for certification. Payment is due upon arrival to the first class by check or cash.
As the Red Cross and other lifeguard training providers have changed certification to be valid for two years, it is always a good idea to check your certifications to make sure they are current. For almost all providers, the following basics are required:
- Swim 300 yards continuously.
- all participants be at least 15 years old by the beginning of the course.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 – 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all saves.
- Pass written and practical tests for lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid and AED.
For those seeking certification at a different time, below is a list of links to area providers. If you find somewhere else to get certified, please be sure to check with us to make sure the certification is accepted by Montgomery County.
- Champion Swim Club (Quince Orchard)
- Ursus Lifesavers and Aquatics
- City of Rockville
- Montgomery County, MD
- City of Gaithersburg
- Aquatic Training Services
Pool Operator Courses: Pool Personnel does not offer courses taught by us at this time. However, we do offer a list of available courses. This is not a complete list and you may be able to find other courses.