As the Red Cross and other lifeguard training providers have changed certification to be valid for two years, it is always a good idea to check your certifications to make sure they are current. For almost all providers, the following basics are required:
- Swim 300 yards continuously.
- all participants be at least 15 years old by the beginning of the course.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 – 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all saves.
- Pass written and practical tests for lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid and AED.
Pool Personnel will offer first time certification August 7. Click here for more information and to sign up online.
For those seeking certification at a different time, below is a list of links to area providers. If you find somewhere else to get certified, please be sure to check with us to make sure the certification is accepted by Montgomery County.
Champion Swim Club (Quince Orchard)
Montgomery County, MD (use keyword search “lifeguard training”)
Pool Operator Courses: Pool Personnel does not offer courses taught by us at this time. However, click here to be redirected to a list of available courses. This is not a complete list and you may be able to find other courses.